Software Engineer, London, UK
Hi, I'm Andrew Mackrodt, a backend and automation engineer based in London, UK.
I've been working in the software industry since 2010, building high quality solutions for start-ups and established companies alike.
The technologies I work with on a daily basis and have several years of experience in commercial environments, i.e. my primary stack. It is not comprehensive of all the technologies I work with (e.g. this site uses Vue.js, webpack and sass).
- New Relic
A history of my full-time positions prior to becoming a freelancer. Feel free to contact me for examples of more recent work.
2016 - 2018
Senior Software Engineer
- Created a configurable CLI daemon to manage worker pools for async jobs
- Created a modular shared memory adapter in PHP for secure secret usage
- Backported third-party packages to Laravel 4.2 and planned 5.x migration
- Optimized queries to prevent/reduce deadlocks in production
- Automated CloudFlare SecurityLevel adjustment based on app activity
- API integrations included: Currencycloud, CloudFlare and Sentry
Deko - (formerly Pay4Later)
2015 - 2016
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed Zend Framework 2 projects, REST APIs and introduced docker
- Managed the automation team (deployment and new environment creation)
- Administered and designed the AWS and Rackspace Cloud infrastructure
- Introduced Ansible for configuration management and atomic deployment
- Performed a zero downtime production data centre migration
- API integrations included: Equifax and CallValidate
- zend framework
CityHawk - (formerly Ruffl)
2013 - 2015
- Developed public and private REST APIs
- Managed AWS infrastructure and integration: EC2, RDS, SQS, SES, Route 53
- Developed native plugins for iOS and Android to interface with iBeacons
- Developed a billing system with PDF generation and event handlers
- Acted as SCRUM master using YouTrack
- API integrations included: Stripe, APNS, Google, Mandrill and parse
- corona sdk
2011 - 2013
Senior Web Developer
- Lead a development team of 10 developers from entry to mid-level
- Introduced CI using Jenkins, PHPUnit, PHPCS, PHPMD and Selenium
- Significantly improved backend performance (>50%)
- Administered bare-metal HP hypervisors and RHEL based QEMU guests
- Developed a Document and RPC compatible SOAP service
- API integrations included: HMRC, Companies House, PayPoint and GoCardless
- zend framework
2010 - 2011
- Primarily acted as the lead ASP.NET developer maintaining legacy C# and VB.NET projects
- SQL Server 2003 database design and maintenance
- Windows Server 2003 and 2008 R2 configuration
- Secondary responsibilities included PHP, MySQL and front-end development
- ms sql server
My passion for programming began in the late 90's when I received my first PC. Prior to that I picked up an engineering mindset courtesy of video game cheat cartridges such as the Game Genie and entering small games printed in magazines at the time on my cousin's Amiga. Given my gaming beginnings, I started creating games using OHRRPG and
Macromedia Flash. This set me upon my journey to learning how to build applications and later websites and server infrastructure.
I've been creating dynamic sites since 2000, using popular CMS' at the time such as PhpNuke, e107 and vBulletin. Around this time I also picked up an interest in Linux Server administration, desiring to automate administration frustrations around using Remote Desktop with Windows Server 2003. Automation and DevOps/ChatOps culture have been important to my workflow ever since.
After obtaining a degree in Computer Science in 2010 I started my career in the software industry. My primary interests are in backend engineering, i.e. programming, architecture and infrastructure.
Outside of computing I'm still a gamer, the evolution from 2D sprite based games on the Sega Megadrive to the fully immersive VR experiences we have now has been amazing to live through. I also enjoy fitness, particularly running and like to read whenever I get the chance.
Get in touch
For project inquiries please include an approximate timeline and budget.
I typically respond within 48 hours outside of weekends and holidays.